Our challenge is to make a 1:1 scale model of a children’s buggy out of cardboard. I hadn’t worked much previously with cardboard so much of what I did that day was experimental and admittedly most of it didn’t work. Working with a partner, we quickly discovered that cardboard is not really bendy and you just end up breaking the structural spine of the board. Our first attempt at making a wheel was severely misshapen however this allowed us to take another look at our approach. Our second wheel shape, which consisted of a strip of cardboard, scored all along its length, created a smooth circle. This was because we took the same approach as flexible MDF which has small strips taken out of one side to allow it to bend smoothly and effectively.

20160922_120600.jpg

I then went on to use this scoring technique 20160922_151108to create some of the other tubular components to the buggy. However nothing on the buggy is straight, and it is very difficult to get a cardboard tube to bend. Using a combination of hatched scoring and taking out triangular sections of tube, I created a satisfactory tube to support the foot rest.

To join several tubular components together, I devised a way of adding an extra 20160922_152848cardboard ‘bolt’ down the middle to strengthen the join. This will hopefully lead to a much more structurally sound final model.

I feel the main lesson this exercise so far has been that to progress you just need to get hands on and see what physically works rather than spending lots of time planning – trial and error is much more effective.

Advertisements